Mending

Mending

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Once A Month Therapy

I must say that at my sickest point a few years ago, I never thought that I would want to go to counseling or even that I may enjoy it.  I love it!  I started by going every week for nearly a year.  Then cut back to about every other week.  Now at just under two years of constant and steady therapy I am down to once a month.  I want to go every week.  It's like going to church.  You go to church every week to be uplifted and have your mind enlightened.  Meeting with my therapist does the same thing for me.  To only be able to go once a month almost doesn't seem like enough.  It's weird.

Am I dependent on my counselor?  Yes!  He is one of the only people in my life who understands me and has been able to motivate me, help me think outside the box, and detoxify my life.  Sometimes though we become to dependent on our therapists.  I have, that's for sure.  I'm afraid that without him weekly in my life, that I'll slip back into depression or have to much anxiety.

My counselor has sent me to a retreat for women of childhood sexual abuse, to a 48 our class to become certified to help my peers.  He has got me into group therapy at a place here in the valley.  He has introduced me to, and encouraged me to read some awesome mental health books, and done EMDR with me.  He has been one of the best friends and helps in my life that I have ever had.

I am learning that I now have the tools to help myself, and that I only need occasional check ins with my therapist.  I am getting stronger and healthier.  This coming year my goal is to only go in once a month.  Of course, that is all pending on what happens within the year.  I am not afraid to go more frequently if things come up and help is needed.

I really have no idea where I am going with this entry.  Only to say that there is a time and place for everything and everyone in our lives.  I am grateful for what I have been given.  I know that with God's help, and the help of my counselor, I can and will do amazing things.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment